Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Friday, March 31, 2006

McMama

I get a lot of comments whenever I mention McMama, or she happens to comment on one of my posts. "McMama sounds really cool!" or "Wow...do you really get along that well with your mother-in-law?" or "I thought about commenting on your post, but I wasn't sure I should say anything since I know McMama might read it." So I thought it was about time I cleared things up about McMama, before y'all start getting the wrong idea. In fact, McMama is actually even more awesome than I have let on, and as for our relationship....well, she's one of my best friends. And I don't just say that because she reads this blog every day. But she does. Hi, McMama!

Truth to be told, I was very nervous about meeting McMama for the first time. Oscar knew we'd get along great, but he doesn't quite understand the anxiety we girls experience when we have to meet the mothers of our future husbands. Everyone hears the stories about the wicked mother-in-law who makes the wife's life a living hell and nobody wants to be that wife. Well, Oscar's dad had kind of led me to believe that she was going to be one of THOSE mothers-in-law and whether I liked it or not, I was going to be one of those wives. I was not looking forward to it.

Luckily for me, McMama is a sassy, cha-cha kind of woman who easily looks 10 years younger than she actually is. She's smart, talented, and hilariously funny. She made me feel right at home from the first moment we met and things have only gotten better since. We talk at least twice a week and there is nothing I can't say to her, including, "Hey, McMama, you're kind of being a bitch. Do you think you could tone it down a bit?" Which I have done. And which she took admirably well, I must say. I needn't have worried.

Sadly, Oscar doesn't understand how good he has it. He seems to think it's a problem that McMama and I get along as well as we do. Of course, that could be due to the fact that I told him flat-out that if we were ever to divorce, I would sue for custody of his mom. He knows his mom wouldn't even let it get that far...she'd just come with me willingly. For some reason, this is an issue for him. I can't imagine why. Personally, if I were Oscar, I'd have more of an issue with the fact that personality-wise, his mom and I are essentially the same person. It's so very oedipal. And yet, not the primary reason Oscar's in therapy. Heh.

Anyway, I could go on forever about how cool McMama is, and it still wouldn't do her justice. She's just a damn groovy chick, and I consider myself pretty lucky to have her in my life. So, you know, if you've been worried about commenting because you weren't sure how McMama would react when she read what you had to say? Don't give it a second thought. She's our kind of people.

6 Comments:

At March 31, 2006 1:51 PM, Blogger raven said...

So what I'm hearing is that I should dump you and ask McMama to be my girlfriend. I mean you make sure a fantastic case for it. ;-)

 
At March 31, 2006 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, you need to ask McMama to be your girlfriend along with Cymber. You know. Have your cake and eat it too.

Sheesh! Some people just don't have the skeelz.

 
At March 31, 2006 3:04 PM, Blogger Nate said...

So if I am vying for brother status that would make me an additional son?

The looking ten years younger could be a problem. the first time I met my first wife's mom, grandma was there and I was sure grandma was here mom and I was completely disorientated with this other woman whose age just did not compute.

 
At March 31, 2006 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um,Cymber, no fair! Not only do I not have a Mcmama, I have the in-laws from hell! The "Monster-in-laws" (yes folks, that's plural) seem to believe their children have the market cornered on perfection.

What I propose is that McMama create a tutorial for all in-laws everywhere. She could even, in the format of "Super Nanny", camp out at the abode for a week. This would give her an eye view of interaction between daughter-in-law and husband's parents. It would also probably provide a good source of entertainment. Can you imagine her "laying the smack down" on some in-laws who have cherished the erroneous belief that their "baby" is infallible? It could also become profitable.

Then again, we could always clone her. Stepford-in-laws anyone?

 
At March 31, 2006 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...I'm gushing! Just so everyone knows, I am really the lucky one. I have a great son who choose the most perfect wife. I think he picked her while thinking about who would be the best playmate for me. Cymber keeps me hip and young. And yes, not bitchy. I know Oscar and Turtle will always be ok because he has Cymber.

No joking, my cup runneth over.

 
At April 01, 2006 1:39 AM, Blogger Hotass said...

I love McMama! I wish she was MY McMama! Thankfully she sort of already agreed to adopt me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home