Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Withdrawal. Also? Panic.

Today, for the first time in a long time, I spent more time away from the computer than I spent shackled to it. I think in other parts of the country, this is known as "having a life," though I am somewhat unfamiliar with the phenomenon, myself. Best Friend came over in the early afternoon to watch Stargate SG-1 with me (yes, we are obsessed....don't judge us!), and as she was leaving, Mama Jo came over to pick up Turtle and me to go shopping. When we were done shopping, we went back to her place so Papa Jo could have a chance to see Turtle. And when Oscar came by to pick us up and take us home, I had just enough time to drop Turtle and him off at home before I was due over at Best Friend's house for our weekly "girl time." It was a busy day.

And I had a great time. I really did. I always enjoy spending time with Best Friend, and my shopping excursions with Mama Jo are a source of delight for both of us. But, see....I have a very close relationship with my computer, too. I missed it today, and I know it missed me too. The longest I'm usually away from it during the day is a few hours. Today, I think I put the computer down at close to 12:00 and didn't pick it back up again until 11:20pm. That's almost 12 hours, people! I was starting to get the shakes and feel a little nauseated. The withdrawal was killing me. I couldn't wait to get back online to start surfing and check up on all of the blogs on my reading list. So naturally, when I finally reconnected with my computer and my fingers started flying across the keys, almost every single one of the blogs was down due to Blogger maintenance. GAH!

Actually, though, this is not necessarily a bad thing. Because by the time I got home and got back on my computer, I realized I had exactly 40 minutes before midnight and if I planned to post something today, it had to happen immediately. So I read through what I could very quickly and then started typing, and as it stands, I am down to 7 minutes. The panic is building. My brain is screaming, "TYPE SOMETHING! ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!" Well, most of my brain is thinking that. The other parts of my brain that are not as obsessive-compulsive are screaming, "IT MUST BE WITTY AND CLEVER! WE DO HAVE STANDARDS, YOU KNOW!!!" Sadly, I don't think those parts are going to win though, because with 5 minutes left, the obsessive-compulsive parts are starting to hyperventilate, and when parts of my brain start hyperventilating, I know I'm in bad shape. So for all of you who come here to read my quirky, yet witty and clever, observations about life? I sincerely apologize for the appalling lack of standards I am exhibiting today, but after all....I only have 3 minutes left.

2 Comments:

At March 17, 2006 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now you know what it's like to feel the withdrawal of "computer addiction". :D

It's just good to know that after years of trying to explain it, you now have an intimate understanding. Love you!

 
At March 17, 2006 11:54 AM, Blogger raven said...

I had mixed feelings about you not being so connected. Mixed because I was actually able to get work done and mixed because I missed the connection. Alas, I survived as well and got work done. SHOCKER!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home