Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Saturday, April 01, 2006

And Then There Were Three....

Hotass moved out today. She is now living in a cute little townhouse with her boyfriend a few miles north of us. I think all of us were ready for the move. Not that she was a bad roommate. It's just that she was ready for her own space, and we were ready to have our space back. Still, I was surprised how sad I was when she said goodbye and walked out with the last of her stuff.

It's not like we're never going to see each other again. We're good friends and like I said, she is only a few miles north of us. But now, we'll have to coordinate schedules and make plans instead of relying on the fact that we'll be able to catch up while she's getting ready for work in the morning. We won't know the ins and outs of each other's lives as intimately as we've known them over the last year. It will be a good thing for both of us, I'm sure. But it will be different.

The only thing I'm not a little sad about is the fact that she took her cat with her. I love cats. I have two of my own. But Hotass's cat? To call him a vocal bastard would be a grievous understatement. He would have been a great cat for a deaf person, but for us, he was a bit of a nightmare. Every once in a while, Hotass would talk about getting his vocal cords snipped, and I'm not entirely sure how serious she was about it. If I'd been sure, I would have made a donation to help cover the costs. Not to mention the fact that while I assumed our oldest cat would have asserted his authoritah early and bitch-slapped Hotass's cat into submission, he instead cowered in fear upon their introduction. He deeply resented the intrusion and made us know it in no uncertain terms. It's bad enough when your cat looks down on you for no reason other than he is the CAT, and you are but the lowly human. When you give your cat a good reason to be pissy at you? Game over.

So, our household is down by two members tonight, both for the better and for the worse. It will, hopefully, not take too long for the natural pecking order to be reestablished and for us to get back to life as usual. But for now, I'm looking at the empty space on the loveseat and missing my Girl just a little.

1 Comments:

At April 02, 2006 7:54 AM, Blogger Flip said...

Hi Cymber,

What a gift to have a friend like Hotass. It's great that she lived with you for a while (I just can't type that about the cat), that she moved nearby and that she moved out, too.
I guess I'm feeling a little metaphysical this morning, but it's taken me a long time to realize that people are in our lives for a reason. I have no idea if it is predetermined, but that really doesn't matter.
I do know that since I have done a better job of internalizing that knowledge I'm better able to enjoy the time I have with people, and I hope make our relationship better for them, too.
Something you probably already know, but maybe an antidote for the sadness when you gaze at that empty space on the loveseat.

Happy Sunday to you and your family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home