Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Daylight What Now?

I've lived in Arizona for 27 of my 29 years. I'm usually not given to bragging about this fact, because, as I've mentioned, I hate it here. But there is one thing that Arizona has gotten right...we don't observe any kind of Daylight Savings Time.We never set our clocks back. We never set our clocks forward. We just kind of mosey on through the year, keeping time consistently and never losing or gaining anything. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing.

This would be perfect if not for one thing. The only thing thing standing in the way of me and time nirvana is the fact that I have quite a few family and friends living on the east coast. Half the year, there is a two-hour difference between us. But now it is three hours, and I resent the impact this has on my daily life.

Calling McMama now requires some complex scheduling, as I have to fit our calls into the very narrow window between my gym time and my sister-in-law getting home from school. She is a teenager, after all, and she has no problem annexing McMama's phone for hours on end. I also can no longer rely on my evening chats with the Boyfriend. He likes to go to bed with his wife, of all things, and their bedtime is now coinciding with my dinner time. The only thing saving me at the moment is that my big Brother is dealing with long hours at work right now, so there's a chance that we might be able to chat, despite the time difference separating us. Still, that's only going to be the case for a few more weeks and then I'm stuck in the same boat with him, too.

It's enough to make me want to stomp my foot and pout. Which I have done, when the situation has warranted it, I'm not ashamed to say. You know how they say you're only as old as you feel? Well, I'm five. Don't judge me.

In any event, I would like to make a case for doing away with this pesky Daylight Savings thing, altogether. However, I have the sneaking suspicion that this new three hour time difference is going to have an intriguing side effect. I suspect that for as long as McMama and I are forced to talk early in the day, and Boyfriend and I are only able to IM while he's at work, and the big Brother and I are only able to trade e-mails when there's light outside...don't quote me, but I think I might actually have to go out and get one of those LIVES everybody's been talking about. You know the ones....where you actually DO things and you're not attached to a computer all day? I mean, not let's get hasty or anything.....But it could happen.....

4 Comments:

At April 03, 2006 8:32 AM, Blogger raven said...

Yeah it sucks.

And to clarify, I don't like to go to bed with the wife it's just that her internal clock shuts down at 11:00 on weekdays and she can't fall asleep without me and so I just end up getting swept up in the snuggling and fall asleep myself. Now really if I was left to my own devices I wouldn't go to bed until 3:00 am.

But don't worry we'll adapt just like McMama will.

 
At April 03, 2006 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cymber - My father, Oscar's grandfather has had to change his clocks for the first time in his 85 years. Indiana just adopted Daylight Savings Time. As he says, "I think it's ridiculous!"

 
At April 03, 2006 12:23 PM, Blogger Flip said...

I believe lives are extremely overrated but occasionally useful and entertaining nevertheless.

Can't BF chat with you while his wife sleeps? It sounds like she just requires his warm body (and I'm not minimizing that - I'm sure it's a very nice body). Please don't accept the "she can't sleep with noise" argument either. Earplugs are cheap.

Hope all is well.

 
At April 05, 2006 12:50 PM, Blogger Nate said...

What I have never really figured out is AZ always on standard time or always on DST. Man, I hate losing the hour of sleep, particularly in this year of trauma, but do love DST.

It's nice, after a lifetime of being the kid bro to be the big one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home