Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

On My Own, Part 2

So....I started writing this yesterday. But then a bunch of stuff came up, and I never got back to it. And I would feel guilty about it, and sad for neglecting you all, because you are so good to me and you check in expecting me to be witty and clever and I appreciate it to no end.....but yesterday kind of sucked, and I did the best I could. I promise I will make it up to you today. In any event, here's (partly) what was going on yesterday:

I am going to be on my own tonight. Well, as on my own as I can be, with a two year old to keep me company. Oscar is going to the Diamondbacks' Home Opener. Because he does not love me. In fact, I think he openly despises me. I can't think of another reason he would want to go to the Diamondbacks' Home Opener without me, knowing how excited I get about the first home game of the season. But his friend had tickets and invited him to go, and he asked me with that oh-so-excited, please-don't-deny-me, I-really-really-want-this look in his eyes, and how do I say no? I don't, naturally. Instead, I save this up in my to-be-used-later file, so that when something comes up that I really MUST do, I can pull this out and say, "Well, I let you go to the Diamondbacks' Home Opener without me, so you owe me now." Yes, that's right...no matter WHAT anyone else says, scorecards are kept even in the best of marriages. (I'm winning so far, by the way.)

The last time I was left alone, I had all sorts of plans for what I might do. I was going to clean all sorts of things and get the in-laws' Christmas gifts together (They're boxed, now, in case you're curious. But no, they haven't made it to the post office yet.) and catch up on all of those little things that fall by the wayside when you have an active toddler keeping you busy. But then I tripped and landed on the kitchen floor, and all those plans I made flew out the window in the face of my wrenched back and throbbing knees. So this time around? I'm not making any firm plans or promises to get things done. At this point, the only thing I am sure will happen is that I will be putting Turtle down to bed at 8:30.

But what I'd like to do....what would give me no end of glee if I can make it happen....the thing that my heart most desires? Is to clean my bathroom. The mirror is a mess of water spots and little toddler-sized hand prints. The counter is covered in cat hair and the remains of the incense Oscar burns when he is having "digestive issues." And let's not even discuss the tub, because showering in there now requires us to work the sponge in and around the HazMat suits, and it's just not pretty. It's getting close to the point that "cleaning the bathroom" will involve a match and some lighter fluid, because there will be no hope left for it otherwise. But for now, there's still a chance I can recover it with some elbow grease and powerful cleaning solvents. So unless I jinx myself by getting too smug about being productive while Oscar is off enjoying the game without me, I have a date with a sponge this evening.

I realize that this makes me a loser of the highest magnitude, but I've never deluded myself into thinking I'm one of the cool kids, so that's fine. If I'm lucky, I'll be a loser of the highest magnitude with a sparkly clean bathroom. And I take my victories where I can.

2 Comments:

At April 13, 2006 7:02 AM, Blogger Nate said...

So you're a cat person - the little things we learn.
I admit - I'm a dog person (and not the best at that).
Simple pleasures - including that clean bathroom - are always in good taste.

btw - While not a fan of word verification, I like the one I need at the moment - wbslyfox - I thinks theres a hidden (maybe not so hidden) there.

 
At April 13, 2006 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something to be said for a sparkly bathroom. I think when you have to share with people, it's a great accomplishment. Although I must say, I am not sure I could have forgiven my husband for leaving me home during Opening Day... Of course, in my case, my husband would have been handing me the tickets because he hates baseball (freak!)... I think Oscar owes you TWO Baseball games, with good seats to make up for it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home