Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Intermission

How much do I suck? A lot, I suppose, if McMama's opinion is anything to go by. We spoke briefly on the phone today and she mentioned that I've been letting her down. She checks in here every day, and I have not been living up to my end of the bargain by posting new, witty and clever content. You know, I had a sneaking suspicion that having a life outside this little web world was no excuse for not posting every day, but it is so nice having a McMama to confirm that.

I told her that I had been working on a post, and had intended to get it up yesterday, but didn't have a chance to finish it. That was "New Jersey, Part The Second," for those of you keeping track. But before I get into the next story of life in NJ, we're going to take a brief intermission so I can tell you what I've been up to.

Today, I was finally able to attend my first Diamondbacks game this season. We were given some great tickets along the third base line by a good friend of Oscar's. It was a heartbreaking game, because my boys lost the game by a point, with bases loaded at the end of the ninth inning. But we had a fabulous time. Particularly at some point during the third inning, I think it was.... See, we had been given some posters on our way into the stadium. We often get these freebies when we go to the games, and I'm not sure why, but I never turn down the free stuff. Anyway, at some point, Oscar was eating his peanuts and threw the shells down on the ground and either hit the posters with the shells, or kicked the posters in the process of trying to get the shells out of his way. In any case, he seemed a bit flustered about hitting the posters. I kind of scoffed at him and asked if he was really all that worked up about keeping the posters nice and neat. He asked me, "Well, what if the poster is of your baby?" (Craig Counsell. Everyone else can take Luis Gonzalez or Chad Tracy or Shawn Green. But Craig Counsell? He is mine, and I love him, so keep your grubby mitts off!!! MINE!) I looked at him with my patented, "Are you KIDDING me?" look and said, "Oh, come on....it's not going to BE my baby on the poster, and even if it is, do you honestly think we're going to hang that poster in our house?" So Oscar shrugs and tells me to open it up and see who's on it anyway.

Are you sensing yet how this ended?

I quickly unrolled the poster and Oscar started laughing uncontrollably. It took me a few more moments than it did him to register the fact that yes, indeed....that WAS my baby on the poster. And he was looking mighty fine, too, if I do say so myself.

I looked back at Oscar. "Okay, so maybe we will hang it up."

So, that was today's adventure. Yesterday, we had lunch at Native New Yorker, which is a sports bar type establishment with some really great wings and lots of televisions continually tuned to sports programming. When we first arrived, they were playing some sort of Kentucky Derby show....not the actual Derby, I believe, but like "pre-game" stuff. I was disappointed. I was hoping for something with some action. Thankfully, about halfway through our meal, the programming changed, and we ended up watching......I'm not sure I should admit this.....because we didn't just end up watching it; we ended up getting sucked into it......like we wouldn't even leave the restaurant when we were done with our meal because we were so invested in this show.....like, when we finally DID leave the restaurant, we sped home and Oscar turned the television IMMEDIATELY to the station on which they were showing this while I put Turtle to bed.....you won't judge me, right?.....okay, I'll tell you, but don't laugh.....we ended up watching bowling. Not regular bowling or even tournament bowling, because that would be lame, and I'm lame, but I'm not THAT lame. No, we got sucked into watching the Skills Challenge. Which involved bowling over ramps and through chairs and across multiple lanes, among other things. It was FASCINATING STUFF! I'm serious. Really cool. Yeah, okay, I'm lame. Whatever. We had fun.

As for Thursday and Friday....I'm sure some other really interesting things happened, but I can't think of what they were. But suffice it to say, they were interesting enough to keep me from you for a while. If I can come up with them (or an interesting story that borders on the believable well enough to pass for truth) I'll let you know. Until then, I'm so sorry I was so selfish as to actually go get a life for a few days. It won't happen again, I swear. (At least for a week or so.....)

1 Comments:

At May 08, 2006 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cymber,

I disagree...you do not suck. Although, I admit, like McMama, I do come visit on a daily basis and if I find nothing new, I re-read some of the old stuff. It is just as funny the second time around (or the third, or fourth...)

What is scary, is that we were watching the same thing this weekend. I watched the Bowling Skills Challenge. It is very scary, how hooked you can get on something with the words "Skills and Challenge". But then since I can't bowl my way out of a paper bag ( I do it the same way I two-step, shoot pool and throw darts...WITH ALCOHOL), it's easy to understand why I was enamored.

Since I was still not feeling well lots of nausea, but thankfully, no dead rabbit, I lounged all day except when I snuck out to play HEXBREAKER in the grocery store. So, I went from watching that, to basketball, to "Top Chef" on Bravo. I then proceeded to watching reruns of Emily's favorite "Wachael Way" on "Food Neckwork".

I didn't cook for my husband or children. I didn't clean the house. I fed my sick cat, wearing a cone (a story for another day)and made sure he was comfortable.

It is I who truly, suck. But I am of course, looking forward to your posts as often as you care to share.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home