Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

My Boyfriend's Back...

So. Before the current Boyfriend, there was the Office Boyfriend. We had met at my last job, where I was an administrative something-or-other and he was a construction manager. We worked together over the course of five years, but it was during the last three that our relationship really developed. We became very good friends, with a fascinating chemistry and a mutual love of making the tongues at our office wag. In fact, when I was pregnant with Turtle, we took to telling everyone that Office Boyfriend might be the father. (And I think some of the people in the office actually believed us, which just made us laugh that much harder.)

But sometime last fall, Office Boyfriend started getting "busy." As in, "I'm sorry I couldn't make it to lunch with you today. I got 'busy.'" Or, "I would have called you back, but I was 'busy.'" We scheduled lunch dates every week for two and a half months and every week, he found a reason not to meet me. A lot of the time, he never even called to say he couldn't make it. I left him one final voice mail to see if the relationship could be salvaged. "You don't have to take a lot of time," I said, "but a five minute phone call here or there isn't too much to ask, is it?" I never heard back. I guess it was.

So imagine my surprise when I saw his number pop up on my caller id last week. I briefly considered not answering it, but my curiosity got the best of me. The salutations were awkward. Thankfully, after the initial "I don't remember how to talk to you" feelings subsided, it got progressively easier to talk. And we briefly updated each other on what was happening in our lives and what the last 6 months had held for us. Finally, he proposed that we meet for lunch. This time, he went so far as to nail down a date, place and time while I was on the phone with him, which was something he hadn't done in the 2.5 month period of missed opportunities. I'm still not holding my breath. But it's progress.

The lunch is scheduled for tomorrow. I haven't said anything about it up to now, in part, because I'm not expecting it to happen. I'm still waiting for the phone to ring and for him to tell me that he can't make it. I have also been waiting for Snark's Mistress to bitch, er, I mean, blog about it on her page, because when I mentioned that Ex-Boyfriend had called, her response was as follows: [Ex-Boyfriend's Name]? I don't think I know anyone by that name. But if I did, I'm pretty sure he would be dead to me.

Meanwhile, I mentioned to the current Boyfriend today that the Ex-Boyfriend might be back in the picture. His overwhelming concern? "Who's cuter...me or him?" I'm glad that some things are consistent.

So I don't know what the afternoon will hold for me tomorrow. But I'm very curious to find out.

1 Comments:

At May 30, 2006 6:31 PM, Blogger raven said...

Hey you didn't say he worked construction!! So now tell the world who's cuter? C'mon! C'mon! Tell 'em!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home