Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Reason #54736 Why I Can't Wait Until Monday

For the most part, I love my job. I love what I do. I love my clients. I love my office. But I think most people will agree that even in the best of jobs, you are going to have some bad days, or days when you question why you decided to work where you're working, or days when you just want to chuck it all and go to Fiji. The last few days have been like that for me.

Both of my clients tend to be on the high maintenance side, but one in particular has been ramping it up lately. I get calls at least 5 times in an hour, demanding that I pay immediate attention to his needs. He often refuses to listen to my advice and periodically resorts to throwing things when he's particularly upset at what I'm telling him. He is also one of those 24/7 type clients. He has no respect for my personal time, and while I can usually get him to back off between the hours of 8:30pm and 8:00am, lately he's taken to calling me as early as 6:30 in the morning.

It wouldn't seem worth it, except that the fringe benefits with this client are to die for. Still, there have been moments over the last few days when I have considered tendering my resignation. Of course, that would be a fruitless gesture, considering this client of mine was savvy enough to lock me into a long-term, iron-clad contract.

So I'm sure you can understand why I'm so excited to hop on that plane on Monday. I can use the break. Trying to be "on" all day, every day is a difficult, thankless job. A couple of weeks away will be an excellent opportunity to unwind and refocus my energies. My productivity could use a bump. And it's not like my client won't be able to reach me. It's just that I'll be able to screen for the true emergencies by channeling them through my coworker first, using these four magic words: "Go. Ask. Your. Grandma."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home