Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Sunday, July 30, 2006

It's All About Meme

So there I was, methodically running down my list of blogs, trying to see who had updated lately, when I found myself on Flip's site. For those of you who don't know Flip, we share a special relationship. If Mark is my boyfriend and Nate is my brother, Flip is kind of like my celebrity crush. For some reason, knowing that he reads my blog makes me feel almost famous. Anyway, there I was on Flip's site, and I noticed he had been tagged by a meme.

I was innocently reading along, fascinated by this particular permutation of the meme, in which someone assigns you a letter, and you come up with 10 words that begin with that letter to describe yourself. And then I got to the end. And he tagged me. And he assigned me the letter "s." And I groaned, because in five minutes, I was lucky to come up with ONE word that started with the letter "s" that described me. So for a minute there, I considered telling Flip he was dead to me. But cooler heads prevailed, and I broke out the trusty thesaurus and the next thing I knew, I had 10 words. So, you know, without further ado, this is me in an "s" shaped nutshell.

Steadfast: If you were to ask me what kind of friend I am, the first word that would come to mind would be "loyal." That's why, although Snark's Mistress stubbornly insists that my Ex-Boyfriend is dead to her, I still take his calls. I'm the kind of person who sticks. Which means that if you're my friend, and you get arrested at 2:30 in the morning, I'm the person you call to bail you out.

Snarky: On the other hand, I have a bit of a sarcastic streak. And I am an equal-opportunity snarker. No subject is safe. Politics, religion, superficial celebrity gossip? I'm there, snarking away, usually with Snark's Mistress or Hotass by my side. So when you call me at 2:30 in the morning to bail your ass out of jail, just bear in mind I'm going to give you no end of crap about it later.

Softhearted: I admit it...I'm a big ol' mushball. I cry at the drop of a hat. I was crying so hard, I had little bits of Kleenex stuck to my face at the end of Legends of the Fall, for chrissakes, and that movie, as Snark's Mistress nicely pointed out to me, is the cheesiest piece of crap movie ever. So rest assured that when I pick you up after bailing you out of jail, I will be crying while I give you a big hug.

Supportive: I try to be my friends' and family's biggest cheerleader. I don't always understand the choices they make, but I'm always there to help them along. So when we're on the way home from jail and you tell me that you were framed and the cops were totally out to get you for no reason, I'll be right there with you, nodding vehemently and interjecting a few "Those BASTARDS" where appropriate.

Strange: I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm a little....quirky. Surprised? I know. Sometimes it's hard to tell. But it's true. Spend any amount of time with me and you'll come to the same conclusion. But that's okay, because after I've bailed you out of jail and given you no end of crap about it, you will have any number of embarassing stories you can threaten me with if I don't shut up about your arrest record already!

Slothful: I'm not proud of this fact, but I have a tendency to be a bit on the lazy side. I try to contain this particular trait to limited bursts of time. Because after sitting on my ass for a long period of time, I get frustrated by the stuff that piles up and the pouty look on Turtle's face. But I'm not always successful. So, you know, if it takes me a little longer than you think it should to get to the jail to bail you out, I'm sorry. I had a bit of a motivation issue.

Scrappy: When I think of the word "scrappy," I always think of Maggie Smith. And I think I could do worse than be compared to Maggie Smith. In any event, I am a feisty, opinionated, no-nonsense kind of girl. So when I come bail your ass out of jail, and you tell me you were mistreated while you were incarcerated, you can bet I'll raise hell and not be satisfied until appropriate recompense has been paid.

Strategist: One of the more annoying things about me is that I plan everything. Up to and including when my son was conceived. It's not that I don't like surprises, it's just that I feel if I have a plan ahead of time, when it goes to hell, at least I have some basis for comparing how far into hell things have gone. Of course, I don't think being a consummate planner is all bad....at least I'll have step-by-step instructions for you on how to get out of trouble when I come bail your ass out of jail.

Stubborn: I think, as a Taurus, this one goes without saying. I can dig my heels in like no other...except perhaps Snark's Mistress who, as a fellow Taurus, is equally adept at being an obstinate pain in the ass. Oscar will probably tell you that this is one trait he wishes I didn't possess. But he can bite me. He's stubborn too, and he doesn't have astrology to fall back on as an excuse. Besides, I wear my stubbornness like a badge of honor. It's the one trait I possess that would force me to overcome my reluctance to go to a bail bondsman so I could bail your ass out of jail.

Sci-Fi Freak: Stargate SG-1, anyone? And back in the day, The X-Files. And before that, Star Trek: The Next Generation. And prior to that....well, you get the point. Mama Jo has an incredibly voluminous library of science fiction books. You could argue that my fandom started in the womb. I know that most people don't understand my fascination with it, and that's okay. It just means more SG-1 for me, and I'm okay with that. Of course, my overdeveloped interest in it does increase the likelihood that I will, in fact, be the one needing to be bailed out of jail at 2:30 in the morning...as an unfortunate consequence of stalking Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, and Richard Dean Anderson. But I'm okay with that, too. I have a feeling Snark's Mistress will be keeping me company.

Speaking of which, having now revealed myself to you in all of my "s" word glory, I hereby tag the following people to play along and describe themselves in 10 words:

Snark's Mistress: You are probably not even going to distinguish this meme with a response, so I'll give you "E," just because.
Nate: Let's see what you can do with the letter "Q."
Mark: You're ALSO probably not going to play along, but I'll give you "T," because lots of words start with "t" and you have enough going on with work.
Lunatic Wife: You have a blog now, so start paying your dues....submit to the power of the meme. Your letter is "H."

Have fun, guys. I did.

3 Comments:

At July 31, 2006 11:31 AM, Blogger Flip said...

Very nice list! And I think it is very well aligned with the image you project in your blog.

I am puzzled by the "celebrity crush" thing, though. "Crush?" Maybe...since you've never seen this old man in the flesh. Very flattering. I will cling to that.

But "celebrity" I don't get. Methinks I need to work on conveying the importance of humility in my life along with practicing it more in my blog. And please please, this is not a thinly veiled attempt to get you to tell me why you think of me as a celeb.

"Nothing special" as stated in my blog profile is not false modesty. It's the truth.

Thanks for playing!

Flip

PS You are now at the top of my list of people to call when I am incarcerated. But I need your phone number...

 
At July 31, 2006 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...I found some. Hope this works...

1. Hardy (as in self-reliant)
2. Headstrong (I fit the description for almost every catagory for thi word)
3.hedonistic ( Especically with regard to cooking)
4.hardworking ( I work at least 10 hours a day in the office, plus play Mom and chef)
5. Humorist ( I enjoy telling and even being the butt of good jokes)
6. Honest
7. Hot blooded (as in passionate and mot just good sex)
8. helpful (some times to my detriment)
9. Heedful (very wary and cautious}
10. Happy? Not as often as I'd like. But my kids are and that counts.

 
At August 01, 2006 10:31 AM, Blogger Nate said...

I love the jail theme - well done.

BUT Q - is that Q as in queer or Q as in Queen.
I will play along, but this will take some thought.

Q? - it's enough to make me wish I had continued my retirement. But when I finish, Scrabble here I come.

PS - I have a lot of trouble in word verification between g and q so can I just play dumb and switch - g as in greek (ok - I didn't really write that)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home