Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Because Baseball Is Life

Well, it's official. Early miscarriage it is. My blood tests came back and my hormone levels are dropping, which is a sure sign this pregnancy is not viable. Which means we are now at Uterus Alert Level Orange: Experiencing Pain; Watching For Bleeding, Nausea or Light-Headedness.

For those of you out there who are getting sick of Uterus Watch 2006, don't worry. We are nearing the end. But before we get there, I have to relay my latest theory. Well, it's not so much a theory as an analogy I was making to Mama Jo that went very, very wrong, very very quickly. See, Mama Jo has been out of town and thus has been getting her Uterus Alerts by e-mail. When I sent her the latest information, she was quite concerned about my ability to have more children. Well, like I said yesterday, the doctor is not so much concerned about this. But in explaining it to her, well....I got a little creative with the visual imagery. Here's what I told her:

We already discussed it. The "blighted ovum" and the "early miscarriage" are completely separate animals, so he sees no reason to be concerned yet. Plus, he doesn't start worrying about my ability to conceive and carry a child to term until I have three failed pregnancies. (Three strikes and I'm out, I guess... Don't know how that works, though, considering a baseball analogy makes Oscar the pitcher and me the catcher. Oh...I guess his sperm is the ball and my egg is the batter. Okay, I've got it now. It's not so much that I'M out as my eggs are out. Or my uterus. Whatever. The point is, I suppose the next time I have to clearly communicate the proper pitch to Oscar? And if the batter fouls out again, we'll have a conference on the mound. Heh. I said "mound." Ahem. Anyway.)

Yeah, so I'm twelve. Whatever. At least I've regained my sense of humor about this whole thing.

3 Comments:

At August 30, 2006 8:22 PM, Blogger Justin said...

I'm sorry to hear the news. And I completely agree with your doctor: there are so many reasons possible for a miscarriage, many of which can't be attributed to "someone's fault" or "bad innards".

 
At August 31, 2006 7:35 AM, Blogger raven said...

Well at the very least there is finally an answer one way or the other. Maybe not the best news. You know I'm thinking of you guys.

And your meandering anaolgy is exactly how I would have expected you to explain it all. And the pitcher/catcher reference... yeah well it made me chuckle.

 
At September 05, 2006 1:09 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm sorry to hear about the miscarriage -- I read about it on your hubby's page when he first posted it and I've had you in my prayers. But thats not why I'm commenting.

My brother and his wife had a difficult first pregnancy -- the baby wasn't expected to live but he managed and after 3 months in the hospiatl he got to come home and now hes my adorable little nephew of 5 years. Their next pregnancy was met with tons of enthusiasm... but she miscarried. (Apparently they had miscarried before my Nephew was born as well but hadn't told anyone yet). This tore them up for a while but they were able to heal and try again.

They were so cautious about their latest pregnancy for fear -- they didn't even tell anyone -- it didn't come out until my adorable nephew let the secret out that he was gonna have a sister! LOL. Well -- for the whole pregnancy they wouldn't allow themselves to be excited or tell people -- but guess what? My newest so-far-perfectly-healthy nephew is due in 2 weeks!

So don't let it scare you -- And don't let it ruin any joy for you. Lots of women miscarry -- your doctor is 100% right on the fact that its not time to be scared about future pregnancies. I've got 2 nephews to prove it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home