Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Monday, November 06, 2006

Rock The....Eh, F*@% It

Okay, so here's the thing....I want to say something profound about how everyone of legal voting age should get out tomorrow and vote. I want to stress how important it is that you make your voice heard, even if that voice disagrees with mine (although, I would have you know that you'd be wrong first.) I want to be able to move someone to take pride in their civic duty and become an informed voter. I want to do all of these things because this is a damn fine country we live in and a damn fine system of government (even with all of its flaws...and it has many, many, MANY flaws) and we should be taking more responsibility for it. But instead, I am going to whine about how annoying all of those political ads are and how glad I am that after tomorrow, I won't have to listen to them anymore.

SERIOUSLY! As someone who shirked her civic duty for several years (I have no excuse; I was just chickenshit; Don't judge me) I can assure you that calling me three or more times a day will, rather than encourage me to vote, send me screaming for the hills because ENOUGH ALREADY! This constant barrage of propaganda is not an inducement for me to vote, much less vote your way. It actually has the opposite effect. I want to see your candidate/proposition/bond issue crushed by a landslide of epic proportions because I feel like you are stalking me and stalking me will NEVER MAKE ME LOVE YOU!!!! Unfortunately, the barrage of propaganda comes from both sides, and since I can't just vote for "Door Number 3," I am generally stuck voting for one of the stalkers.

And I KNOW that this election is important and I KNOW that they just want to make sure as many people as possible get out there and cast their ballots. But I speak from experience when I say if people can look around at the political climate right now, and they are not moved to do something about it, no amount of telephone calls or door-to-door representatives from their party of choice is going to sway them. And for those of us who are motivated to petition for change...to stand in line for the opportunity to participate in our electoral process? We don't need the phone calls, because we do our research. We aren't influenced by your mud-slinging or issue-evasion. We read your candidate statements and we watch the debates and we make decisions based on our own moral compasses and we don't need you calling us every five minutes in an attempt to muddy the waters.

So please, for the love of all things holy, stop calling me. Stop with the ads on my favorite tv shows. Just stop. I will be casting my ballot tomorrow, I swear. But if you interrupt my life just one more time, I won't be casting it for you. Thanks.

1 Comments:

At November 12, 2006 11:03 AM, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I like the perspective:"A Freakshow's Guide To Finding The Absurd In Life."

I am with you on the end of this election. Now that it has passed, I find myself waiting for the next media crisis for the nation to lose its perspective over. Will it be another middle east crisis? A kidnapping? An American Idol scandal?

Sanity shouldn't just be a goal, it should be a standard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home