Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Those Horsemen Look Familiar...

I went to the gym today. And this time I remembered to notify the Four Horsemen. What I failed to mention, however, was that Oscar planned to come with me. Luckily, they called me on my cell before setting off on a ride, so we were all good.

Now, while I had been quite consistent about going to the gym prior to my summer vacation, and had even made periodic efforts to get back in the habit of working out regularly over the last few months, Oscar has not been to the gym in over 8 months. So what inspired him to commit to straining his muscles and feeling like a girly-man for the 45 minutes it took to work through his routine? Well, he and McMama are having a Weight-Off. They each took their starting weights last Monday, and whoever can lose the most weight in a four week period wins. I've been helping him out so far by fixing him meals that he can take to work, ensuring that he is getting a balance of fruits, veggies, protein and carbs. But the exercise portion of the program was sadly lacking until today.

Of course, the Weight-Off was reason enough to get back to the gym, but there was a secondary reason, for me anyway. Mama Jo called today to let me know that her mom, my Nana, was in the hospital. She had symptoms of a heart attack, though, thankfully, the doctors have determined that she did not have an actual heart attack. She's on the mend now, and will be going home tomorrow. But considering that this is the second family member in less than two years to have heart issues, and my cholesterol level is a bit high, as is Oscar's, I'm certainly getting more serious about changing my lifestyle. Not that I'm giving up all of my vices completely. Come on, now. Quantity of life is nothing without quality of life and nothing says quality of life like a big serving of creme brulee, with all of its artery hardening goodness.

Still, losing my uncle a year ago and this scare with my Nana has made me a lot more conscious of the choices I've been making with regards to food. Although, honestly, could this whole new awareness of health have come at a better time? Christmas is around the corner. I'm afraid to make cookies, lest they mock me with their white flour and sugar and butter. I don't know what to put in the stockings, now that candy is off the list. And who wants to get an apple or a head of celery in their stocking? That's like opening the biggest gift under the Christmas tree and finding out it has socks and underwear in it! So I will be making an effort over the next month, but I don't expect that a complete overhaul of my lifestyle will really be realistic until at least after the holidays. Avoiding sugar and starch is nice and all, but did you ever wonder what made the Grinch so bitter? He was on a diet through Christmas....trust me on this.

1 Comments:

At December 06, 2006 8:53 AM, Blogger raven said...

To McMama:

You need to redefine the rules! Men naturally lose weight faster than women. When I lost all my weight my wife was doing it at the same time and lost more faster than she did. Then again I think you can beat your son anyway, but just making sure he doesn't win by default of that pesky Y chromosome. If you want any secrets I can pass them through your fantastic daughter-in-law.

To My Girlfriend:
Rice Krispie treats in the stockings. Or Christmas Peeps. Still sweet, but not bad for you. Or dark chocolate. Can always point out that they are rich in anti-oxidants which are good for you and your heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home