Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Monday, January 22, 2007

Blogger Breakfast

So, I didn't mention this before because I wasn't sure it was going to work out, but this past Saturday, Oscar and I had plans to meet Flip in real life, off blog and in person. Warts and all. It was iffy right up to the end, but Saturday morning, Oscar, Turtle and I piled in the car and set out in the rain to pick Flip up at his hotel and drive him two blocks to our breakfast location of choice. He could have walked, I suppose, but I really wanted him to have a chance to smell the remnants of the Turtle vomit so that he could report back to you that it REALLY is NOT going away. (Of course, even when he was in our car, he claimed that he couldn't smell it, but I think he was just being nice.)

Flip is the second blogger I have met in person. My Boyfriend, of course, was first. (Hi, Honey!) And since I really didn't have too many preconceived notions of what Flip would look like/sound like/smell like/burp like, I was very pleased by the live and in-person version we met. We had a fantastic time chatting and laughing and talking shit about other bloggers. (No, not you. No, I swear. Okay, maybe just a little.) And it was wonderful to finally put a face to this person I've been reading about and corresponding with for so long. We are looking forward to the next time we are in each others' proximity so we can get together again.

I have to admit, though, it is kind of weird meeting someone in person when your only relationship has taken place online. In fact, I was telling Oscar on my way to breakfast that I was sure I was going to have problems remembering to call Flip by his given name instead of just "Flip." In the end, it didn't end up being as big a deal as I expected, because I just resorted to calling him "Hey you!" much like I do with everyone else I know. But still, it's hard to explain the feeling when you realize you know intimate details of this person's life, and yet, you have no clue what his favorite color is or whether he trims his nose hair with a pair of scissors or a special nose trimming tool. It's really like getting to know someone in reverse.

Thankfully, I'm a complete goofball, who doesn't much adhere to societal norms, which makes it rather easy for us to get by in social situations. Watching me jump up on the table and start dancing to "Islands in the Stream" gave Oscar something to talk about with Flip, and created many avenues of conversation that held up throughout the meal. "Does she always do that?" "How have you never been arrested before?" "Has she considered medication?" And of course, Flip helped things along by being utterly charming and telling us hilarious stories about his family. Odd though the circumstances of our meeting might have been, we had a lovely visit and I am so glad it worked out that we were able to meet.

So if you have a chance to meet Flip, I can wholeheartedly recommend that you do so. You will have a fantastic time. He's an excellent conversationalist and an all-around great guy. Oh, and in case you're wondering, no, he's not a serial killer. I made sure to ask, so you wouldn't have to. You can thank me later.

2 Comments:

At January 23, 2007 5:07 PM, Blogger Flip said...

Cymber,

How sweet. Not a serial killer. That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time! In fact I'm going to add that to my resume and list you as a reference!!!!

I loved meeting all three of you. And you guys are so nice, relaxed, funny, engaging, welcoming and easygoing I can't imagine anyone being uncomfortable around you.

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to share a little of it with me.

Oh, and just so you know. My favorite color is purple and I trim the long hairs with small scissors and then mow the nasal lawn with one of those little whirly-nose-hair-clipper-things.

 
At January 23, 2007 6:14 PM, Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

This is interesting. You know, if I was single now, I know I would be meeting women through the blogs. I met my wife by initiating a conversation with her through email. But the blogs are fascinating for their ability to give you insight to people. If you read a blog, pour over the entries of the last year, look behind the person...you can tell a lot.
Fascinating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home