Are You KIDDING Me With This???

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Batter Up

Okay, so, I totally wasn't going to do a baseball post this early in the season, even though I'm totally following my boys and totally loving it because they're TOTALLY kicking all kinds of ass right now and I'm totally excited about it even though it's ridiculously early in the season but I don't care because it's totally awesome and it totally makes me do stupid stuff like say "totally" over and over again and ramble in run-on sentences and that gets a little embarrassing, BUT I'm bored and it's something to talk about so here we go.

I was out of town last weekend (which I'll talk about at some point, but not right this second) and got back home late Monday night. After waiting for Oscar to finish up some consulting work (because THIS girl has NEEDS, y'all) it was probably close to 1:00 before I fell asleep, and I have to be up at 5:00 to get ready for work. Needless to say, I was a little tired on Tuesday. So Oscar made an executive decision that we would grab dinner "out." We ended up at a generic bar/grill type establishment (one I'm sure you have in your home town, wherever that is) and sat down, completely prepared to share a meal, talk and catch up on what had been going on in the week of my absence. Well, Oscar was prepared, anyway.

As I sat down, I scanned the room and lo and behold, there was a television over Oscar's shoulder. It caught my eye immediately because it was playing a baseball game. Upon further inspection, I realized it was playing the D-backs baseball game. I focused in like a cat stalking its prey. And then I felt the disgusted glare of my husband settle on me as he realized I wasn't listening to a word he was saying. I couldn't help it. Double-D was pitching his last game before undergoing surgery for his thyroid cancer. We were smacking the Dodgers around. It was a beautiful thing. Or it was, until Oscar smacked me upside the head to get my attention again so I could look at the menu and figure out what I wanted to eat. He was mumbling something about starving before his wife could tear herself away from the tv long enough to somethingsomethingsomething....I'll admit I stopped paying attention once the commercial break was over and the game was underway again.

I had a brief moment of concern that now that baseball season has officially begun again, it would derail the chances of our recovering our relationship after our separation*, but I have since decided that if Oscar is going to learn to love and live with me again, he is going to have to accept that there are certain things that are essential to my happiness. And if one of those things is a rabid fanaticism for D-backs baseball, I don't think that's such a bad thing. After all, it's not like he's a peach to live with 100% of the time. I make sacrifices for him. He can overlook this one thing for me, right? I mean, it's not like I'm asking him to wear batting gloves and a baseball cap every time he puts the moves on me. Although...

...

...

Ahem. Sorry. I needed to take a moment. What was I saying? Oh, right. I'm not THAT bad.


*So, yeah. Oscar and I split up for a few months there. Yet another reason I haven't been posting regularly. I did say I was going to drop those update-y little bombs into otherwise inane conversation, right? Right.

4 Comments:

At April 13, 2008 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Rockies finally beat your D-Backs! Break up the team lol.. you have to admit that Eric Brynes is a piece of work.. the type of guy you only like if he is on your team.

 
At April 13, 2008 8:41 PM, Blogger Cymber said...

Oh, please. You spanked us today, I will give you that. But that was only after your boys dropped how many in a row to my boys? Five? Five in a row we spanked your ass? That's what I thought.

As for Byrnesie, I...don't know what to say about him. Until I read in the paper that he was a newlywed, I would have sworn he was the gayest outfielder who ever gayed. Snark's Mistress and I would watch every game and try to figure out with whom Byrnesie was sharing "the love that dare not speak its name." But hey...whatever works.

 
At April 14, 2008 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was giving kudos for those 5 out of 6.. you really kicked our ass! D- Back are a great young team.. Was glad to see your stadium so full on a beautiful Sunday afternoon -- Where is the support.

Oh, and lets not forget the final four games last year. I believe those required brooms as well.

And your comments about Brynes are right on -- Hilarious.

Your Denver admirier!

 
At April 17, 2008 8:28 PM, Blogger Cymber said...

You know, to be honest, I'm really pulling for a great Rockies season this year (just not one that's better than the D-backs' of course.) They really poured it on at the end of last season and I think it would be great to see our two teams duke it out for the top of the division (with the D-backs coming out on top, of course.)

We both have great clubs in a strong division and it would be really be a good thing if we started getting credit for how talented we are. (You like how I say "we" as though we personally have something to do with how well our teams are doing? I like to think that I cheer in a particularly supportive and helpful fashion, so I feel I've earned that.) We're starting to see that with the D-backs, so I'm looking forward to the Rockies finding their groove and getting that same kind of recognition.

The better your boys are, the harder my boys have to work and the more excellence we see on the field. I can't say I'm opposed to that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home